Saturday, August 28, 2010

Life away from family and friends - in pune

There comes a time in life when you need to take up responsibilities, be away from people you love and just try to find a life away from home, just to make your life and career. and it becomes even more difficult when all these things come into your life all of a sudden, without any prior warning. the same thing happened to me on March 30th, 2010. when i was enjoying my training period at patni computer systems, having a good time learning and enjoying with friends, when one by one all of my friends were getting placed in projects. and it was finally my turn.

I guess everything was planned out before hand because i think everything happens for a reason. maybe the day i got the news that i had to go to pune the very next day for my project was in itself an indication that it was high time i took things seriously and got out of my comfort zone. i was always dreaded by the thought of leaving my family and friends, living in a completely different place, away from the comport of home, mom-made food (read: home-made food), and things i was used to. living in a different place, with new things and people to adjust to, having to take care of myself on my own, was something i had never thought about. but i really had to think about all these things and even start planning as to how i was going to handle them from the very next day.

Its only when we are far away from people that we realise their importance. I have heard this line so many times, but now i see its actual meaning. Gossip with friends, home cooked food, meetings and funny moments spent with loved ones mean so much more when you are away from them and reminisce the moments. Even though mumbai is just 190 km away from pune and it takes just 3 to 4 hrs to reach home, you still don't get that feeling of coming home to family on weekdays when the end of a long, tiring day at office finally allows you to get back home.

But i am lucky to have roommates who are just like family. Office gossip, whining about our PMs and TLs, cooking food, laughing over stupid jokes and people, watching tv, sharing our feelings about life, career, family etc are just some of the things we do. Life in pune is different though. The weather's much better, canteen food is just fine, but you really get a good feeling when you cook with your roommates and find some common things which connect you with people around.

Like when i meet a mumbai person, it really gives me a good feeling, thinking that i am not the only one who has been sent to pune and that there are many people like me. It somehow makes you feel at home. and the best feeling you get is when you reach mumbai and your family is waiting for you at the station. :)

So even though life seems tough at times, what with project work, TLs and PMs keeping a watch on your activities and ofcourse family having lots of expectatons from you ! i guess its all worth it. because if staying away from mumbai and family can teach me how to cook (which i knew nothing about earlier), it has to be something really good. :) and i am sure it will make me a better person, help me value my loved ones a whole lot more and learn how to be independent and take care of myself.

I miss my family and friends.:)

6 comments:

lalita said...

takin up responsiblities n al uhh ..... way to go kidddo .... ;)

Unknown said...

ooooh.... gotta meet u 2 find out just how responsible u r now :D

Piyush Pillai said...

Hi, how r u and how's life in Pune?

Piyush Pillai said...

Hey how's ur 'travelodestination' and 'populararticle' articles work going on? r u still writing or busy with ur project tht u don't get time?

karan said...

hey a really nice article .... it roughly skethes my feelings to ... and i slept while i was reading it i dreamt that i was in india ... the dream felt so real .. it was like a free ticket to india )))

Unknown said...

nice writin meenakshi.....itss gud to read sumthng this gud....keep it upp...n thnx....:-)